Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Our Composter

Our composter is here! yay!

I've been so excited about this the past week that when Richard came in from work Thursday saying there's a package for me I just HAD to see it right away.

Tah dah!
ummm....Not exactly what I expected.... I didn't really see an "assembly required" sign online when we bought it. Goodness, for $500 I assumed this darn thing was assembled. well, it's here, so I guess I might as well assemble it! yes, I know it seems a bit expensive but we are hoping that it'll pay off in a few years. And we do garden and plant veggies every year.

And assemble I did! It took me 2 days (I was only able to assemble this during Allie's naps), a couple of wrenches (don't even ask me what kind they were because I DON'T KNOW!!), screwdrivers (the cross one and the flat one... non-technical terms), my tiny scrapbooking hammer and a bit of reading the instruction manual.

I started with the stand (see my quality control inspector?!)

Then the tumbler.....(again, my QC)
A little help from Richard's dad with the final assembly and placement....Et Voila! Compostumbler!

I have to say, I'm pretty darn proud of myself for assembling this gigantic compost tumbler. And I didn't even break a nail (I did chip one).Thanks to my Dad, I probably absorbed some "handy" skills from him (when it comes to building things, my Dad is the best!).
Now, all we have to do is make this compost tumbler work for us.
Richard and I loaded up our first batch of greens, kitchen scraps and dried leaves Sunday. And as of today, Tuesday, it seemed to be working (they gave us a thermometer to check the temp. of the compost to see how good it's working.... who knew composting was this complicated). Hopefully in two weeks we'll have fresh compost for our garden. I'm already dreaming of our beautiful garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment