Monday, April 20, 2009

April is Earth month. Let's all try and do a little something to help her out, shall we?

I have to admit, up until 3 years ago I never really thought about being "eco" this and "eco" that. I was even pissed at the fact that we had to buy stickers for our trash which forced us to recyle more than we felt like doing. But a funny thing happened... I had Andrew. And eversince, I've been trying to think of ways to "reduce, reuse and recycle". It's like a switch turned on inside of me, all of a sudden I want to save the Earth, for my kids. I still have ways to go, but at least I'm trying to do my part. Going green is not exactly cheap (some things are... and this is where I'm starting).

I've been reading up online on how to be a little more eco-friendly and at the same time save money. Here's what I have implemented so far: We've changed most of our lightbulbs to the energy efficient ones (lightbulbs on dimmer switches and bathroom ones... we still need to find the right bulbs. Apparently you can't JUST switch those regular energy efficient ones to sockets with dimmers and bathrooms are no no's for that kind of bulb). To save water, I have filled shampoo bottles (the big ones) with water and put them in the toilet tank (this displaces water in the tank, meaning, less water when you flush). I only do laundry when it's a full load, also goes with the dish washer. I unplug ALL electric appliances when not in use.Something we've been doing for years (and by "WE", I mean Richard's dad), planting our own veggie garden at the back. We've stepped it up a notch this year by buying a composter so we won't have to buy soil and we're actually starting with seeds this year, instead of buying grown plants(which is WAY cheaper). Now we're talking! Gosh! I can't believe I'm actually talking about composting.... the things I do for my kids! What next, solar paneling? Actually, Richard shot that idea down already. Well, I'm working on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment