Friday, October 30, 2009

Spiders

I am finally starting to enjoy Halloween.
Pre-kids, I have to admit, Halloween was nothing but another candy eating day, for me. I didn't even really like the whole dressing up thing. One year I dressed up as an Oreo. I had 2 big round, brown felt thing front and back and I was the cream filling. Yeah, very creative. Another year, when I was still in culinary school, I dressed up as, guess what? a chef, not just a chef, a pastry chef, with rolling pin in tow.

Anyway, now that Andrew is old enough to do crafts and help with baking, etc... I am starting to actually LIKE Halloween. Not the scary Jason/freddy Krugger type of Halloween, but the kid friendly Jack-o-lantern, cupcake spiders type of Halloween. And I just love, love, LOVE that at least one of my kiddies can do little projects with me now.

This is what we did today:


Spider Balls (I got this idea from Bakerella.com-she's awesome- wish i could make my spider balls as cool as hers but I AM working with a 4year old)

Ingredients.... we had to work with what we had... Andrew's frozen cupcakes (we made some last week).... leftover tub icing from last week, black sprinkles, m&ms for eyes and pretzel sticks for legs...
We crumbled 3 cupcakes.... This is me trying to teach Andrew that it's okay to get your hands dirty.... I have to teach him that it's okay, weird.

We mixed some icing with the crumbled cake and made them into balls.

Cooled them in the freezer..... while in the freezer we melted the chocolate.....I dipped the balls, one at a time, Andrew sprinkled the balls with black sanding sugar and I added the legs and eyes before the chocolate hardened.

Ta dah! Spider Balls!!! Not my best work but it sure was FUN!

This is Andrew ending up with black lips from the black sugar on the spider. No, he's not sad, just showing his lips.

Btw, since I mentioned the whole cupcake making thing from last week, here are some pics...
Andrew helped with baking....

He even iced and decorated his own cupcake....


Allie loved the cupcake.... can't you tell?



This is my cupcake with cupcake toppers I made... no Halloween parties this year so I might as well use them.


I have decided.... Halloween Party next year! I think I'm ready for it! I might even wear a costume :)

No comments:

Post a Comment