Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sapin-Sapin

Sapin sapin:

a layered glutinous rice and coconut dessert in Filipino cuisine. It is made from rice flour, coconut milk, sugar, water, and coloring with coconut flakes sprinkled on top.

Andrew Loooooves this dessert. Unfortunately I had no idea how to make it. Filipino dessert is something I am not very good at. Sure I make sans rival and brazo a lot, do an occasional leche flan and guinataan (with nothing but tapioca, jack fruit and rice balls- my favorite parts of guinataan) and sometimes even a rare Halo-halo. But that's about it, I know it may seem a lot but that's not even half of Filipino desserts i'd like to learn how to make.

So I few weeks ago I decided it was time to learn how to make this dessert.

Recipe:

1 cup Rice flour
2.5 cups coconut milk
1.5 c sugar
.5 c ube-purple yam (cooked and mashed)
red and purple food coloring


Procedure:
1. Wait for the kids to take a nap.

2. Ransack the basement to find the perfect steamer for the job. I couldn't find one so I just picked the biggest one we had, lugged it upstairs and hoped for the best.

3. Find out that the idea of making mini sapin-sapin is a no go because the humongous steamer is still not big enough for the mini muffin tins. But I'll try anyway.

4. measure ingredients.

5. Find out that I need cooked and mashed ube (purple yam) and my ube is frozen and uncooked.

6. While boiling the ube (to be mashed) continue measuring the ingredients. Prep the mini muffin tins by spreading oil all around each and every cup.

7. Mix rice flour, sugar and coconut milk together. Divide into 3 bowls.

8. Tint one with purple, this is where you will add your cooked and mashed ube, once you actually have your cooked and mashed ube.

9. Check on the ube and make sure it's not burning. Once it's done put some of the cooked ube in the magic bullet to blend and end up with a puree purple yam. (CAUTION: blending something HOT in a magic bullet is not a good idea... HOT air in an enclosed container... what do you think will happen? I was being stupid and the kids were going to wake up soon... fortunately mess was minimal and no one was hurt).

10. Add Ube to purple tinted mixture and pour it into the mini muffin tins. put in steamer until firm.

11. Tint one bowl of mixture with red food coloring & pour onto the purple mixture. steam, again, until firm. At this point the kiddies where waking up. Lucky for me Richard came home a little early and was able to watch the kiddies.

12. Add the last mixture into the tins ans steam, yet again, until firm. At this point I was all steamed out but I still had some of the mixtures so I decided to just get baking pan and steam it in there. And what do you know... since the baking pan fit perfectly in the steamer, the darn thing cooked faster. I should have done this in the first place.

13. Let the mini sapin-sapin cool and unmold.

Et Voila!
After close to 3 hours..... SAPIN SAPIN!



I don't think it was supposed to take this long.... btw, the stuff on the top is caramelized coconut milk (Latik) (my sister just asked if it was ground beef ) :)

Anyway....

My Little Boy enjoyed it!
He called it sapin -sapin Kutchinta (Kutchinta is another Filipino dessert that usually comes in these little shapes).
Now all I have to do is clean up this MESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment